How to build a house
- What's the difference between an architect and a building designer?
- How to consult with an architect or building designer
- How to choose an architect
- How to read house plans & diagrams
- How to read site plans
- How to read floor plans
- Elevations, framing plans, wall sections, and shadow diagrams
- Floor plan abbreviations and symbols
- Should I renovate or demolish?
- What are siteworks?
- Who can access building sites?
- Demolition: what's involved?
- Land surveying
- Dilapidation reports
- Temporary fencing or hoarding
- Traffic management and access
- Storage for tools and materials
- Cutting and filling
- Clearing a plot of land
- Levelling and grading
- Construction waste management and disposal
- Putting in a slab or stumps
- How a house frame is erected
- How tile roofs are installed
- How steel / Colorbond / Zincalume roofs are installed
- How exterior walls are put up
- Plumbing and electrical services rough-in
- Installing plasterboard walls and insulation
- How to tile and waterproof a bathroom
- Timber fitout and cabinetry
- Interior fitout and prime cost
- What is the 'lockup stage'?
Download our complete building and renovation checklists – have you forgotten anything?
Use our collection of building and renovation calculators to plan your big project.
Tools, tips, home maintenance schedules & useful advice to help you maintain your home.